GEAR UP is a federally funded program charged with significantly increasing the number of students who are prepared to enter and succeed in post-secondary education. GEAR Up works to create a “college-going culture” through statewide and school-based services to a group of approximately 6,000 high students and their families.GEAR UP now offers free tutoring and homework help for students in all subject areas. Students work with Central Iowa college and university students, DMPS educators and online resources offered through www.tutor.com. Tutoring is available every Tuesday evening from 6:00-8:00 p.m. at the Central Branch of the Des Moines Public Library. Transportation is free via DART with their student ID. Contact Ashley West with questions.
GEAR Up Services
- Professional development opportunities for school staff
- Supplemental academic offerings including after-school, weekend, and summer academic programs
- Academic mentoring and tutoring
- Student, family, and community outreach programs
- College visits and tours for students and their families
- Job shadowing, career fairs, and internships
- Scholarships, financial awards, and reduced tuition
- Financial literacy education for students and families
- Educational programs about the college search, application, and enrollment process
- College/career counseling, SAT/ACT preparation, and college application services through www.ihaveaplaniowa.gov
Learn more about GEAR UP on their website.